Thursday, May 1, 2008

Vishu Kanji Recipe

I had this first from my grand mother (on my Mother's side) for Vishu. She called it Vishu Kanji.
My Mother's home is at Panambukaadu (Ernakulam) and my grand mother's original home was in the Paroor area. So, this dish should be hailing from somewhere in these areas ...

Slightly reddish-tannish payar: this one used for this dish is 2-3 times larger than cherupayar and has a reddish-tannish hue - 1/4 cup
Raw rice - 1 cup

Boil these in pressure cooker in 4 cup water. Boil in low heat for 10 minutes after the pressure cooker reaches full pressure, then allow to cool and open
Meanwhile, melt 1/2 kg jaggery. Powder some chukku, jeerakam, cardamom
Once the cooker is opened, turn the heat on again. Add 1/2 cup - 1 cup coconut milk and melted jaggery to the cooker and keep stirring.
Add some ghee, the powdered chukku, jeerakam, cardamom.
Done.

No comments: